Sunday, February 26, 2012

When I Grow Up I'm Gonna Be......

"You're beautiful, and nice." This is the comment I look forward to every Monday and Friday when I step into the primary grade's classroom at St. Mary's Academy.

At the beginning of the school year the faculty asked any parents who couldn't pay the full tuition if they could help out with various jobs pertaining to the school. These jobs included yard work, fundraising, organizing a phone tree, cleaning or helping in the classroom. I volunteered to help in the classroom twice a week. I was thrilled to be asked to take over with the Kindergartners on Monday and Friday and was also happy to be able to see my boys throughout the day.

What I didn't expect was the joy I'd feel when I would see one of the little ones experience a breakthrough in learning. When they have a light bulb moment and squeal with excitement at the realization that they are reading! Or when they remembered through the weekend that 9+9=18! I didn't expect to laugh so much when, in all innocence, one would call me Sister, another Teacher, and yet another Mr. Stewart (and in her dialect Misto Stewut).

The Kindergarten through Second graders are all in one room, and from across the room I can see Hunter and Benjamin as they are being taught by Sister Bernardine. When I hear that one or the other is struggling with a certain concept I send them positive thought waves and cheer them on hoping they will tune in.

I have been asked to be the sole Kindergarten teacher next year, which means Mon., Wed., and Fridays I will be at St. Mary's passing on my wealth of knowledge of the ever so important concepts of colors, shapes, letters and patterns. More importantly though, I will be able to help these future adults grasp the concepts of self-esteem, confidence and respect for those around them.

Even on challenging days, when the kids have enough energy to power a Morse Code message to Mars and I'm going on my fourth or fifth cup of coffee, I find strength and companionship in the company of the other teachers. OTHER teachers? That sounds so foreign. Me? A teacher? Yes, that is the path that has been laid for me, and with a happy heart, I intend to follow it.

"My" Kindergartners
Ben reading to the class

2 comments:

  1. Gina, you are doing so great with the kids. Riley absolutely loves having you as a teacher and comes home with the funniest and sweetest stories from her day and a lot of them include you. Thank you for touching her little heart so warmly and being such a great encourager to her and the other children. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Veronica! She makes me laugh so much, and boy that girl keeps me on my toes....sometimes I think she's smarter than I!

    ReplyDelete