Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Whooped by Five Year Olds

The beginning is the most important part of the work. -Plato
 
School began today. I haven't anticipated a new school year this much since I was in school myself...many moons ago! This year I'm going back to school too, not to further my own education, but that of those precious souls just entering their educational journey. I am back to the drawing board with the freshest of the fresh.....Kindergarten.

I have been so busy getting ready for my first year of teaching that the readiness of my own children has suffered. True to my procrastinating self, even though I had an unexpected extra week of summer, I was cramming yesterday to get my classroom finished and food for school lunches purchased. The kids were in bed an hour and thirty minutes later than planned, I was in bed two-and-a-half hours later than desired. But I was ready. Lunches were packed, uniforms ironed and laid out, every last minute item I needed for my classroom was loaded in the van. I had never been more ready for a first day at a new job....or so I thought.

The morning went smooth. We dropped Cecelia (my only child not in school!!) off at my parent's house, and arrived at school exactly when I wanted to. I had, however, wanted to be there before any students arrived but several had beat me to it. I had a schedule written out in my planner. What I didn't plan on was how fresh these youngins would be! In my mind, I think I pictured the Kindergartners I taught last year.... at the end of the last school year. How much they learn and grow in nine months!!

I spent most of the day explaining procedures and rules, practicing coming and going in a group, showing them around the classroom and helping them find the restrooms. They were so eager to learn and dive right into the "fun" stuff. The truth is, they had fun doing pretty much everything, except going to Mass; that was pure torture! Both for them and for me. By the time Mass was over, I was exhausted, but the soothing thought of how much they will grow and learn in a matter of weeks was like aloe to my wounded expectations.

I have seven students. I am an aunt to three of them, mother to one, and most of the others I have witnessed grow from the time they were babies. They all call me Mrs. Stewart, even Isabelle, who thinks that is the most delightful thing ever. She slipped a few times and called me Mom, but I might be a little worried if she hadn't. I am amazed at both how smart they are and how green they are. One boy explained a complicated truth of our faith to me and yet needed help walking directly behind his classmate; another child already knows his multiplication tables (yes, a Kindergartner) but needs help holding his pencil correctly. I love this job! I have found my niche....actually I must give the credit to God. He has placed me where He wants me and gave me pleasure in doing His will.

Here's to a successful 2012-2013 school year!

Gina







2 comments:

  1. please write more. you are an inspiration to me and i love your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read all your essays and find them uplifting. :-)
    proud to call you friend.

    ReplyDelete