Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Wisdom of a Child

This blog is intended for the enjoyment of the reader, and as a personal memoir to my children. Because of that, I never wanted to use this blog for any political agenda or as a podium for debate; but something astounding happened this week and it has to do with a very polarizing political topic. To me, however, it is not a political topic, it is a human topic, and one that affects our very rights to LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Last Friday I attended a rally in downtown Tacoma that focused on Religious Freedom. Being a conservative event, the Right to Life folks were down there also. At the CareNet booth I received a life-sized model of a 12-week fetus. It was rubbery and resembled a small baby curled up in the fetal position. I took a small pink one and my dad got one because he knew if the girls saw it they would likely fight over who gets to hold it. (My dad took the dark skinned one because, if given the choice, that's the one Cecelia would have chosen :)

When I got home that day, I showed them to the kids who were fascinated by it. We gave the babies to the girls and then I forgot about them.  Two days later, the kids were at their dad's house and I was in the process of cleaning the girls' room. When I was organizing the mess of toys that surrounded their doll house, I saw the sweetest thing. In the corner of one little room of the house was a tiny plastic bed. This is what I saw:


"Oh how cute!" I thought as I grabbed the misplaced toys and continued to clean.

The next day, the kids were home and as I was tucking Cecelia into bed she kept telling me she wanted her baby. After picking up the wrong one at least four times (that girl has way too many dolls), I realized she wanted the little brown rubbery one....who would have thought!? She wasn't satisfied until I got the bed for her too. I watched as she put the bed right next to her pillow and tucked the baby into its bed. It was one of those 'Oh-my-this-child-is-too-cute!' moments. I left the room with a smile on my face and returned in a little bit with my camera:









The next morning she carried that little baby around as though it were a fresh egg. She rocked it, and cradled it and even showed me how it cried and....walked!








As I took this picture a thought struck me pretty hard. How can a 3 year old child see this 'baby' and recognize it for what it is when these people can't?!!!



Here's to the innocence of children! May they never lose their love for life.

Love to all,

Gina.

No comments:

Post a Comment