Saturday, February 22, 2014

Adventures in Wonderland: Part One, Fourth Post

Now that everything that was out of my control fell into place, it was time to take care of the things that WERE in my control. It was time to make lists (and purchases) and begin checking those lists off. It was also time to train this flaccid body of mine to walk many hours of mountainous terrain with a heavy pack on my back. Both checking off the lists and the training took time.

I was able to make most of the big purchases; my tent, sleeping bag and backpack shortly after I got my tax return. Many of the other purchases were made after great lessons in patience and hard work. I resolved to get something I needed with each paycheck. It was difficult watching the annual REI Garage Sale come and go without having money to buy some of the things I needed, even at such great discounts. By and by, however, I was beginning to look like I knew what I was doing.

At one such trip to REI, Emily and I were shopping for our backpacks. The sales reps sized us and helped us to find one that suited our needs. I tried on the Osprey Aura 65 in Pinon Green and was amazed at the comfort it offered. A sales rep asked if I wanted her to weigh it down in order to get a good idea of what it would really feel like. When filled with "25 lbs." of sand bags I was shamefully shocked at how HEAVY it was! Emily had them fill her dream backpack as well, and we tried to hide our weakness from the 'Oh-so-in-shape' outdoor enthusiasts that worked there. We didn't say anything in the store but as soon as we got in the van we both expressed how SURE we were that there was no WAY that could have been only 25 pounds! Looking back, after having carried a pack that eventually weighed more than 40 pounds, I still don't think it was only 25 lbs.

I didn't buy my backpack that day in REI, as I was told it would be going on sale soon. The purchase of my pack, as well as my shoes, I figured, would be the most important items I would shell out the big bucks for. After reading many blogs and websites on lightweight backpacking frugally, to the point of making your own backpack, I decided there were just some things that would be worth buying in the reliable brands. I did shop online a lot though, looking for the best deals. It became a great thrill to find things cheaper than I intended on buying it, and my backpack was one of those things. At www.backcountryedge.com I found my pack, the exact color and size I wanted, for $40 cheaper than the sale price at REI. I ordered it with great excitement and waited for it to arrive with great anticipation.



The day it arrived at the house I was stuck in this huge goofy-looking smile for the rest of the day. I put it on and wore it for a couple of hours, including during the five-minute walk down the street to my Nana's house. The kids thought I'd finally lost it for sure....maybe I had!

No comments:

Post a Comment