Friday, March 20, 2020

Day 3: Work, Stewart's and Not-so Social Distancing in the Out of Doors.

It was day three of this no school/work ordeal and I must say, I am really enjoying it! I got up at my own leisure today, showered and arrived at Mass for St. Joseph's feast day by 9 am. Technically, there was to be no public Mass, but I have an 'in' with my amazing co-workers and knew the 9 o'clock Mass, though not public, was still being offered. Several other parishioners wishing to give honor to St. Joseph also showed up, and the Sisters sang a beautiful High Mass.

Afterward, I head downstairs to my classroom and prepared the lessons for this coming week. Fridays our parents are to stop by to drop off completed assignments and pick up new ones, in this way we are able to continue the curriculum and finish school on the planned date of May 28th.

When my work was done, I thought I'd better stop at the store to stock up on more food, in case, for whatever reason, it becomes more difficult later on. One thought entered my mind and from that moment on, I was obsessed with a craving: Stewart Meats beef jerky and landjaegers. Of course, being that it is Lent and we only eat meat at the main meal...I can't describe my trip there as instant gratification, more like prolonged torture of the senses. Before I opened the old wooden swinging door I could smell the smoked meats and my mouth began to water. The place was packed. Nobody seemed very concerned about social distancing in that tiny meat deli with the rustic wood floors. People were talking about it, but there were smiles all around.

I pulled a number and waited for it to be called, "58...59...60?" "HERE!"

"I'll take 8lb. of ground beef, 4lb. of bacon, cheddar burger meat, 10 smoked pork chops, 3lb. steaks, 1 lb. each of Peppered, Old Fashioned and Famous beef jerky, 10 landjaegers, .5 lb. of smoked cheddar, 3 andouille sausages, one summer sausage, a small thing of smoked salmon and a pig ear for my dog please?" After I ordered I wondered if I sounded like I was preparing for the apocalypse. If I did, no shame, I will go down barbecuing!

 "Sure! We'll have that right out!" she said it with a smile and not an ounce of judgement. I liked that gal. Her idea of 'right out,' however, and mine were quite different, but I didn't mind waiting and people-watching for the while it took her and the young man she was training to fulfill my order. From my place in the corner, I could eavesdrop quite well. The two men in front of me who struck up a conversation had both ended up travelling quite a distance just to buy their meat at the shop. Once came from near Oregon and the other from Silverdale, WA over an hour and a half away.

A woman came in and ordered all the remaining landjaegers on the tray..this had me panicking a little that her order would be filled before they had a chance to package the ones I ordered. It ended up being an unfounded fear, however, as unlike toilet paper these days, an entire new tray took its place within minutes.

I always leave Stewart Meats with a smile as I carry my heavy, paper bag filled with neatly packaged white-paper wrapped meat back to my van. I pulled out the salmon and cheese to eat on the way home...the beef jerky and landjeger would have to wait for dinner. (side note: I ended up having my main meat meal at Chick Fil A after leaving the park and still haven't satisfied my dang craving, which will now have to wait until dinner tomorrow!)

Once home, my kids hounded me for the landjaegers and beef jerky and they, being under 21 and not bound to follow the Lenten fast yet, proceeded to enjoy them in front of me (one day when they are in their prime, I will be too old to fast...insert evil laugh!)


When the original looks better than any filter.
We waded, more like trudged through the school work they were supposed to have done while I was gone and then took in some fresh air at Chambers Bay park...with hundreds of others who had the same idea. It was so crowded, we could barely find a spot to park. I've seen it crowded like this in the summer, but never this early in the year! With movie theaters, restaurants and gyms all shut down, the outdoors seem like the last place to enjoy yourself with friends. I've seen people be of the mind that "Stay home, means stay home! Don't leave the house," but I believe that fresh air and sunshine are part of the cure. Do what makes you happy healthy!


those colors!!
Jenny did well off leash today!









No comments:

Post a Comment