Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I'm Happy to Announce....

Gratitude is one of the sweet shortcuts to finding peace of mind and happiness inside. No matter what is going on outside of us, there's always something we could be grateful for.
- Barry Neil Kaufman

Today I am grateful that my children's health is improving, that my brother thinks I am smart enough to proof read his college writing assignments, that we didn't have any extracurricular activities that took us away from home after school/work today, and that Hunter has the greatest baseball coach in the world (at least in my opinion).

My happiness project has been well under way for over a month now. When I began, I promised to return in a month and report on how things are going. I think the thing that has had the greatest influence on this "project" is merely the fact that I choose to be happy. I find Mr. Kaufman's above quote to be right on. If we go looking for happiness, it can be very elusive, but if we choose it, it will be a very willing tenant of our souls.

Allow me to review my goals:
  • Go to sleep earlier. Frankly, I havn't. I am still working on this goal, and I tell myself, "You are going to bed by 10 tonight." and then I look at the clock and its well after bedtime. So I have yet to see the fruits of this goal.
  • Exercise better. Well...I've got a great routine, and when I do it I am very happy, but the truth is, the couch and a good book  the computer are very enticing. This goal needs work. I figure if I get goal #1 down, this one will be easier.
  • Toss, restore, organize. I am proud to announce that although this one is forever on-going, this goal is in the bag. I have been a tossing and organizing fanatic! I feel like things have no hold on me, and at the same time, my personality is beginning to show through in my home.
  • Tackle a nagging task. I have been successful in this goal as well. In fact, I love days, like yesterday, when I get so much of the yucky stuff taken care of that I begin to realize it's only yucky stuff when it's stuck on my mind. The actual doing of the tasks isn't bad at all and getting it done leaves me with a definite feeling of happy contentment.
It appears that I am 50% sucessful, but to me I am 100% sucessful because all of these goals are on track to becoming habits. There won't be a point where I can say, 'Okay, I've reached my goal, now I can stop'.

March has a whole new set of 'goals', or habits to acquire. I will post these as I fine tune what they will be, and how I want them to influence my life. February's goals were centered around gaining more energy. One of the best things I've done to gain more energy is cut out sugar.  Those white chocolate mochas I used to crave now make me cringe and I have discovered the God-given greatness of stevia.

Happy days to all,

Gina

P.S. How could I have forgotten to mention one of my biggest sources of happiness this week? Last night while Hunter was having his first baseball practice of the year, my other kids asked Coach Bill if they could play with the hula hoops that were part of his training equipment. He obliged and the four of them each grabbed a hoop and trotted off to the other side of the gym. At first, my attention was on Hunter and what he was doing, but the movements caught my eye and I began to  watch the kids attempting to swing the hoops around their hips..hula style. Samuel was doing pretty well, Isabelle decided to hold the hoop on end and jump through it, Cecelia held it in two hands and wiggled back and forth.....and Ben.....oh Ben! He had the hoop around his waste and he maneuvered it quite well, but the way he moved to make it twirl...well, picture the love child of C3PO and Twyla Tharp...on fast forward.

It was one of those moments where you laugh and other people laugh with you....and then you're still laughing when everyone else stops....and then tears are rolling down your face, and your body is shaking as you try to compose yourself because out of your periferal vision you can see unlaughing people catching sideways glances of you. Yes, that was my highlight so far....and it's only Tuesday. I find myself asking, "What else is in store?" and "Why didn't I have my camcorder?!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment