Saturday, October 15, 2011

Can't Live With Them...Can't Live Without Them



Seven Sibs a few years back.



"Ora na azu nwa" - African Proverb


This saying in English means, "It takes a village to raise a child". I never understood that, or appreciated it, until I became a single parent. Try as I might, I simply cannot do it alone. I want to dedicate this post to my family. They are a rare and precious asset in my life.
When I moved back up to Washington with four kids, six and under, in tow, (and one in the oven), I knew at first I'd need a little help. My sister, Emily, spent a couple of weeks with me in Reno, helping me have a garage sale, pack up the house, and drive one of the vehicles the fourteen hour trek north. All this, not to mention being a shoulder to cry on and a HUGE help with the children. When we arrived at 11 o'clock at night, my grandmother's (Nana) doors were unlocked and the lights were on. When I drove the next day to the house we were moving into, my cousin, Jason, was there to help me unpack. When the kids got in my way, my sister, Tina, swept them up and took them to her house also providing a distraction for them as they played with their cousins. She also became the "school bus" driver when my schedule became too hectic between work and college classes.  When I couldn't afford Christmas presents, one of my aunts bought them all bikes. When I had to give up being a stay-at-home mother, my father, Nana, and sister stepped in to watch my children. My mother, in her understanding way, frequently offers me an evening off, even before I ask. My Aunt and Uncle are there when my boys are selling popcorn for Cub Scouts again, and when I had a flat tire today, there they were; gloves, knee pads and screwdriver at the ready to put on the spare. There are others, brothers and sisters-in-law, who have offered a sympathetic ear or words of encouragement, and a seemingly endless line of aunts, uncles, and cousins who have all given of themselves in one form or another.

On the other end of the stick, my life holds more meaning being able to be there for them, as well, when they need a shoulder to cry on, or an extra set of arms to help carry their burdens. What comes to mind when I think of my family is a human body. Each person is like a white blood cell, everyone together is the body. When there is a wound or infection to any one part of the body, everyone rushes to heal the affected member.

The term family extends to some very close friends, as well. I have been extremely blessed with friends who have treated me like family and whom I consider the same.  I am wealthy, I am blessed, I am grateful to be a part of those lives that have touched mine so deeply. Our friends we can choose, it's our family that we are stuck with.

That being said, I'm happy to be "stuck" with mine. As I've said before, we may not have it all together, but together we  have it all.

Just Tina's family and mine :)

3 comments:

  1. Well said! You make me cry because I understand how true this is. We have "Granny" to thank because she is the one who planted these seeds of how important the bond of "family" is. I feel her spirit is still among us and in these turbelent times we need to grow even stronger as we share the same faith and values. Thank-you for being the voice of our family and for sharing that voice with others. May God bless you and help us all to carry on. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete