Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Panic is a Real Thing



Working at my children's school has allowed me to be there for them in ways I never imagined I would have to. Today while I was teaching P.E., I noticed that one of my daughters did not seem like herself. She was doing really well at the game we were playing but never looked happy or enthusiastic. Afterward, at lunch, I asked what was wrong and she ignored me, so I chalked it up to adolescent angst. She finally came and found me in my classroom and emotionally vomited on me for being uncaring and mad at her. I am used to teens letting out their frustrations on me so I wasn't really phased. Pretty soon she was hyperventilating, crying and talking about feeling like she was 'outside of herself'. I tried to help her breathe slowly, but she just couldn't do it.

In the middle of it her teacher came in and told her she can't leave lunch without telling the person in charge where she is. This added to her anxiety.  Her teacher let her stay, however, and I continued to talk with her. She began to bring up all her insecurities that maybe had some basis in reality but were totally blown out of proportion.  Finally she asked if I could just hug her. Why didn't I just do this in the first place?!! (insert mom guilt) I hugged her tight. As I did so, I looked up on my phone what to do during a panic attack and found some great information from healthline.com. In a very calm voice I read 11 Ways to Stop a Panic Attack. They were all very doable and pretty soon my little girl was breathing slowly and and her muscles had relaxed in my arms.

Both of my girls have tried to explain to me certain symptoms of anxiety that they were experiencing in the past year. I never understood fully what it was, and neither did they. After today's experience and a recent brief conversation with a couple of my cousins, I realized it's time to talk to them about anxiety, panic attacks and what they can do to help themselves. I have never experienced this myself, however, in the past, I have experienced anxiety's melancholic little sister, depression.  I do know many in my family who have had anxiety and panic attacks and from what I understand, it does run in families so I shouldn't be surprised it would show up in some of my children. I have a lot to learn, but this I know, patience, love and understanding is what I can offer them now.

Have you ever experienced a full on panic attack? Do you know kids who have these issues? Any and all advice is appreciated!

5 comments:

  1. Lonnie used to have very severe panic, anxiety attacks. Emily also suffered from these thought her adolescent years. It is scary and hard to know how to deal with it. You can feel so helpless because it's harder to fix than a physical problem. You are doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I remember that. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. That they are both experiencing this is significant. Think about what has changed in the past year in their lives. Is there a new person in the picture? Would your boys have any ideas (worth asking)? You’re a smart, loving and capable Mama. They are lucky girls to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the interesting thing is one is pretty over hers while the younger one started around the same age that her sister is when she experienced it. I know it runs in the family. The good news is the anxiety episodes have become fewer and farther between...depression still hits occasionally, however.

      Delete
  3. After studying your article you have to understand what I actually have written here. red apple nutrition This one is being written once you have a proposal from you.

    ReplyDelete