Tuesday, May 8, 2012

All Grown Up (that's me I'm talking about)

I found myself thinking today about the momentous time in a person's life when they come to the realization that, "I'm a grown up!" My daughters tell me all the time...'when I'm a grown up, I'm going to...." Kids seem to ponder this thought frequently. When I first moved out at 18 and didn't have to tell anyone where I was; I had the inkling that I was a grown up. When I went shopping for my own food for the first time...the thought crossed my mind then too. I don't remember having the thought when I got married, had children, or had to file my taxes as Head of Household. I did, however, have the thought today.

My eight year old had his first baseball game of the season and I invited one of his best friends to stay the night so she could come help cheer him on. I told them I would take them out to ice cream afterward to celebrate. His hitting was amazing, his feilding needs improvement (but what 8 year old's doesn't) and his attitude was inspiring. So, when the game was over, I gathered up six dirty kids and headed to the magical place of 31 marvelous flavors...it was 8:30 pm.

I'm not sure if every Baskin Robbins is the same, but the one we went to had very few seats, little room to sit and enjoy an ice cream cone and a LOT of odd people. In fact, the last time I went there, it was also later in the evening and there were some other people who appeared to be woven of the same cloth as tonight's visitors. Anyway, ordering whatever flavor ice cream six kids wanted (and myself) in a crowded area really brought me back to the few times my mother braved a  trip to the mouth watering "Neighborhood Ice Cream Store". Only, this time....I was on the receiving end. The receiving end of, "Can you lift me up to see?" "I want the pink one, no, the rainbow one.....no.....I want the bubble gum one" (times six) "Can I sample this one, and this one, and this one"...."I have to pee!" "There's no bathroom" "But I have to PEE!!"

I began to realize....WE were more the sideshow than the emos, or the man with the shorts that looked more like a tattoo than an article of clothing..I mean...I think he was wearing shorts, just kidding, he was. Oddly, amidst the chaos, instead of feeling stressed, I found myself thinking, "I'm a grown up!" I'm letting all these kids get an ice cream cone of their choice and I get to chose one for myself!" I know what you're thinking...what a weirdo! Well, I think it all goes back to when I was a little girl. One day, when I was craving ice cream and couldn't have any, I must have said to myself, "When I grow up, I'm gonna get whatever kind of ice cream I want....and buy some for my kids too!"

I dedicate this post to my kids, who help me feel grown up, while at the same time, remind me of the joys of childhood. I love you guys.




 .

No comments:

Post a Comment