Friday, May 18, 2012

Summer Bucket List


"A desire presupposes the possibility of action to achieve it; action presupposes a goal which is worth achieving." Ayn Rand
 I am bursting to the seams with excitement for this summer! I feel like I did when I was a kid and the hope of an exciting summer loomed on the near horizon. I am so ridiculously full of anticipation that I made a summer Bucket List for myself and my family. I must shamefully admit here that this is one perk to being a single mom: everyone runs on MY schedule.  I am sharing this list to help me keep track of my plans and goals.

O The Places We'll Go:
  • Lester - This is a legit ghost town located off a secluded Forest Service road on the Green River, south of Snoqualmie Pass. It is only accessible by foot and the only other time I was here we saw a cougar...yes, a real live mountain lion! What did we do? What any sensible, non-destructible human being would do...we followed it. That was before kids... I think I will hike this one sans children.... and with a gun toting fella.
  • Orcas Island - If I see an orca whale this summer, I would say it was an accomplished year. This will be a trip with the kiddos. I plan on taking the ferry from Anacortes and climbing to the top of Mt.Constitution.
  • Table Mountain Lookout - This is a fire lookout located in the remote Okanogan Forest. The lookout has a large deck perfect for stargazing. I've already booked two nights here in August and can't wait!
  • Hurricane Ridge, Olympic National Park - I haven't been here since I was a kid. What I remember about that trip is a scary steep road and 360 degree views of the jagged Olympic peaks. I look forward to experiencing this trip as an adult with kids, and camera on hand.
  • Camp Muir - This hike has become a summer tradition and it looks like this year my sister, Emily, and I will have more company...including our priest Father Anaya.
  • Carbon Glacier - I have the fondest memories of hiking to this glacier as a teenager. One that sticks out the most is when I was running down a trail holding Emily's hand (she must have been about 3 years old at the time) and the opportunity to literally save her life presented itself. Since I was an irresponsible 13 year old she was on the down slope slide of a steep path. In a split second her feet slipped off the side of the trail and had I not been holding her hand she would have fell a few hundred feet down to the rushing waters of Ipsut Creek. Of course, had I not been running, or had her on that side, she may have never been in peril in the first place. Anyway, I believe to this day all she remembers is me...saving her life ;)
I think that will be enough to pack our summer days with adventure. I didn't mention the camping trips with the cousins, there will be plenty of those too. Now, as far as goals I'd like to accomplish that don't require a few hours of packing and food preparation:
  • I want to brush up on my mad guitar skills and learn to play two of my favorite songs; The Gambler and Will the Circle Be Unbroken.
  • The Warrior Dash - a 3 mile race through mud and even muddier obstacles.
  • Run the 4US 5K - to help raise money for Pro-Life causes (getting back into shape starts now!).
  • Sign Samuel up for 12 Parkour sessions. Soon baseball and cub scouts will be done for the summer and I will finally have time to dedicate an evening a week for him to put his wall climbing skills to good use.
So there we have it. I am calling this summer Rediscovering Washington. It looks like a lot, but I believe it will be do-able because, as Helen Keller stated, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

Adventurous days to all!

Gina.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/recreation/rentals/ow-table-mt-a-frame.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester,_Washington

Here is my goal destination this year...near bottom left; Camp Muir. To go any further would require a climber's permit.
This must be that road I remember from a family trip long ago. (Picture courtesy of info@olympicsuitesinn.com)
At Ipsut Creek

View of San Juan Islands from Mt. Constitution. (Picture courtesy of KevinMallick via Flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment