Sunday, June 10, 2012

Gone Fishin'

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad." –A.K. Best
No, actually, the fishing was bad; the catching was good....no that's not quite right either. Anyway I look at it, I admit to myself and to the world...I do not like fishing with kids.....five of them at least. Today was the annual Pack 64 Fishing Derby. Supposedly the pack chips in to have Mill pond filled with loads of fish so when the derby rolls around each kid is all but guaranteed to catch a fish or two. That was the case last year when Tina's family and mine brought back dozens of fish to gut and clean and...gag down eat.

As afternoon rolled around, I realized we would be short a few fishing poles, and hooks, lines, and sinkers... So I took the kids to Fred Meyers and we bought what we needed before heading to the pond. We were right on schedule to have our poles in the water by 7pm, which was important because the first one to catch a fish won a special trophy.

Little did I realize how little I knew about fishing! I had a box of hooks and bobbers and weights...and some poles; but I felt like a....well....a fish out of water! It's not that this was first time I had ever done this; this was, however, Samuel's fourth year of scouting, but usually my brother-in-law, Mike was at the pond before us and was ready to do everything help us get to the point where we were ready to cast the line. We arrived first this year and I really wanted to have the kids ready to go. So after numerous trips to the Port-o-Potty I held a bobber in one hand and the line in the other with out a clue as to how one went with the other. Luckily, the Ruliens showed up worms and all (you know, those little things called bait that I had forgotten to get).

Mike and my nephew, Donovan, then had the task of preparing poles for ten plus people. I made it a point to watch and learn this time so I wouldn't be so helpless next year. This is how the evening went from that point on: Mike and Donovan set out getting their family's poles ready as I bugged them trying to figure out how to attach the hook and bobber to Benjamin's pole, Donovan ever so graciously showed me how to tie the hook on. I did so, attached the worm and helped cast the line. (I wondered at myself, why does ripping a live wriggly worm in half with my fingernail not bother me? I figured changing thousands of poopy diapers over the years has desensitized me to all things gross) All the while, Samuel begged me to help him, and Hunter, who's line was ready to go from last year, kept needing my help with untangling his line from the prickly bushes that surrounded us. Without the slightest exaggeration, swarms of mosquitoes surrounded our heads like Pig Pen on Charlie Brown...only worse.

Cecelia whined first because I wasn't fast enough getting her pole ready and then because she didn't know what to do with it once it was in the water. I will insert here that Isabelle was more patient than I had ever seen her. She said not a word, but waited quietly for me to get to her. When everyone else was waiting for a bite, I finally got her all set up. Amidst the chaos, several worm-gut covered hooks penetrated my thumbs and did I mention I had quite the groupie of mosquitoes following me everywhere I went? Before everyone was fishing Samuel caught the smallest sunfish you had ever seen and we figured he'd win the prize for smallest fish....certainly by now, people had caught the first fish! About 15 minutes later Isabelle had a bite and I helped her reel in a small slimy catfish! Her excitement caught the attention of one of the organizers who came running in our direction with her camera. "Did I hear someone caught a fish?" We showed her the fish and told her Samuel had caught one earlier. She informed us that Samuel had been the first one to catch a fish then. I was surprised because I thought that since it had taken me so long to help these fishing skills deprived children that they had no hope of making the first catch.

My patience was waning, and I longed for my pajamas. Visions of the kids laughing and having memorable deep conversations while waiting with hopeful hearts for the 'catch of the day', and then taking all they learned from me and bonding with each other over their love for the sport were fading as fast as daylight. I am certain that there is no doubt in any of their minds that my distaste for fishing is as real as the empty hooks that kept getting caught by everything but fish.

My joy from this day came twice from Isabelle. First, when she caught her fish, she was beyond excited until I pulled it from the water and held it close to her. At that point every fiber of her being shuttered with fear. She squealed and screeched like the girly girl she tries so hard to hide from her brothers. Secondly, I couldn't help but hide my laughter when a wormed hook got stuck in her hair as she walked behind her cousin when he attempted to cast his line. I know that sounds cruel, but her reactions would have made one think she was being attacked by the swamp monster and it wasn't as if it hooked her skin! I hate to imagine what she would sound like if she actually were attacked by something! I had to tell her, "Isabelle, only use that voice when, A: a kid snatcher is trying to take you away, or B: you need help because you or someone you are with is in danger of dying (which means blood is gushing everywhere, not just on your cuticle)."

The final tally for the 2012 Fishing Derby was a total of 6 fish caught. That number included both scouts and tags (tag-a-long siblings or friends). I felt good knowing that my kids actually caught one-third of all the fish this year! It appears true as Herbert Hoover stated, "Fishing is a… discipline in the equality of men – for all men are equal before fish." (even men (kids) who lack a solid fishing background) And, I am unashamed to admit that it feels good to know that we won't have to do this again for another 12 months.

P.S. Congratulations to Samuel for catching the first fish (he would have gotten the trophy for smallest also, but they didn't want one person to get more than one trophy :)


Notice how my kids are the ones without  poles?  Those were down by the water with the price tags still on them.

Big brother, Hunter, gives Izzy a helping hand with her slimy, spiky Catfish.

Winners for: Biggest fish, Smallest fish, and First Fish Caught


Happy Fishing everyone!

Gina.

No comments:

Post a Comment