Friday, June 15, 2012

Why I do this.....

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Well, I am practically breathless right now! Why? Because I spent the last two days, minus the hours at my job, preparing to go camping with five kids. My shoulders ache, my legs feel like rubber...and my eyes burn; partly from the two onions I just chopped, partly from need of sleep.

For one of my wedding showers, the guests all gave us camping gear. It was the best shower because although the outdoors were a passion my future husband and I shared, we lacked all the tools to really enjoy our experiences in the woods. We got a cooler full of camping odds and ends, matching camping pillows, sleeping pads that rolled, and various other "necessities". The only remnants of that shower are the pillows, the pads and the cooler which doesn't close properly and is missing one handle.

The first time we used the equipment was shortly after our marriage. We decided to go camping for Memorial Day weekend and naively thought one could just go find a spot with no real plans and only a general idea of where we wanted to go. We ended up at a horse camp...in the mud....and it snowed on us. We couldn't light a fire because all the wood around us was too damp.  That was then.

For the duration of our marriage our equipment supply grew somewhat here and there. We got a huge tent that I still use and a few more coolers, but we didn't really go camping that often. I think during the time we lived in Reno, we camped maybe five times at the most. It wasn't until I moved back up to Washington alone with the kids that I learned the real 'art' of camping. The key to enjoying a camping trip with kids is being prepared!!! Being Prepared...BEING PREPARED! I can't stress that enough.

As I've said the past two days were full shopping and meal planning (jambalaya, omelets, quesadillas, and raspberry cheesecake are my contributions to the community meals; we tend to eat better while camping than at home). I've been dicing, chopping and mixing food, placing the food in vacuum packed bags or zip-locked containers. I've been packing clothes for six people for 2-3 days with the idea that it might rain; which means extras of everything. We've been gathering our gear from the garage, the attic, and trying to fit everything we'd need to set up 'home away from home' into a mini-van. In the morning I have to pack the cooler, gather the miscellaneous items I remembered we needed, stop to fill up the propane and gas tanks.

"Why do you do this only to return home in 2-3 days, clean and put it all away?" "Sounds like too much work!" These comments I've heard many times. I do it because when we camp, we are together in a unique and intimate way. We can look up and appreciate the universe we are a part of. We can enjoy each other's company more because there is more space in between us. Camping gives us a break from the stresses of daily living. Thoughts of work and housework are not allowed, sitting around a campfire and exploring are the rules of the day.

The van is packed, the kids are sleeping and will rise early with great anticipation. Cheers to the first camping trip of 2012!!


Happy Days to all,

love,


Gina.


No comments:

Post a Comment