Saturday, June 23, 2012

A New Wardrobe and a New Perspective

Getting in an accident back in November of 2011 finally paid off.

I've been looking at my kids shoes lately, especially Ben's, and can't seem to wrap my mind around why his toes are sticking out of his sneakers! It's not like he doesn't get new shoes a couple times a year, and, seriously, who walks on the top of their toes?!!! I'm not talking about walking on tip toes, I'm talking about the part of the toe that actually grows hair!!! I couldn't take it anymore.

It was a rainy afternoon and the kids seemed cooped up with extra energy as they waited for their dad to pick them up for the weekend. They still had a couple of hours to wait so I decided to take them to Old Navy and try a little experiment. Yes, a certain amount of fear set in with the thought of taking five children clothes shopping all at once, but I was able to push that aside. I wanted to let each of them pick out their own clothes, whatever they wanted, because I realized I've never really allowed them to choose their own style.

When we entered the store, I think we all felt like we were in uncharted territory. This is just not something I do with them! Any clothes shopping gets done by me alone, when I can get away by myself, and then it only happens out of necessity since it's really not one my favorite things to do.
I had two rules that I refused to bend on, even if it contradicted my kids' choices: No clothes for the girls that would be too tight, too short, or too skimpy, and no shoes that had cartoon characters on them (the first rule is for modesty, the second is just a pet peeve of mine).

When we arrived at the children's clothing section, I set the boys loose and told them to go find some clothes that they liked. They looked at me like I was joking, like I would pull back the reins if they actually did that. Slowly they started wandering around but they couldn't even decide where to start. "How about some shorts?" I said trying to get them started. Benjamin immediately picked up what I considered the least desirable pair in the store. They were camouflage green and bright orange exercise-like shorts that felt like they were made of spandex. It took every ounce of willpower not to try to persuade him to find something else. He seemed quite satisfied though, so I said nothing. I told him to find a shirt to wear with the shorts. He couldn't decide so I suggested a green one that would tone down the loudness of the shorts, "But it's just plain green!" was his reply. "How about this one?" I said holding up a white shirt with bright green sleeves. He didn't look the least bit interested. Then he reminded me why I usually pick out their clothes, he picked up a black shirt with all the Angry Birds on it. The shirt didn't have a single color in it that matched his shorts, but it would look fine with jeans so I led him over to the jeans....he wanted black ones.

Hunter and Samuel took awhile picking out T-shirts, and I had to prompt them to look at jeans and shorts as well. Finally Samuel decided on some clothes quite similar to something I would actually pick out for him, and Hunter chose the same shirt and shorts. I told them to get some jeans as well. "Mom, how do you think skinny jeans would look on me?" Hunter said to me in all seriousness. I tried to dissuade him because skinny jeans are not my thing, and his legs are...how can I put this, SKINNY!! But he seemed to have his heart set on them, so I told him to try them on.

With the boys' satisfied with their choices, we headed over to the girls' department. I told the girls the same thing, "Go, find the clothes you want". Cecelia took that to heart and darted straight to the frilliest, ruffliest shirt I'd ever seen. The problem was she thought it was a dress because it was meant for older girls. I felt bad to tell her no, because she seemed to be eyeing the shirt the whole time the boys were shopping. It didn't dampen her mood though and she ran from rack to rack finding what she wanted and holding the item up to the front of herself, she'd ask, "Does this fit me?" It was fun watching her and she had all of us (and a few on-lookers) laughing. Isabelle was pretty laid back and easy going, which was a surprise to me. She immediately wanted a purple shirt with Spiderman on the front, but after that she actually wanted my help.

Finally it was time for the six of us to hit the fitting rooms. We found a handicap one that fit all of us at one time (I figured having to try on multiple outfits on five kids was a handicap). The clothes started flying in all directions as the old ones came off and the new ones went on. Hunter's "skinny" jeans didn't even fit him like skinny jeans and he was quite satisfied with them....so was I. Ben's crazy shorts hung down to his ankles and couldn't be cinched so they kept falling to the floor even though they were an extra small. (I smiled a secret inward happy smile over this while trying to act disappointed for him) Later he picked out a cute pair of colorful plaid shorts that although his choice, I was very happy about. Cecelia ended up choosing a black and white summer dress, a shirt with purple and gray paisleys in it and a skirt that just screams "CECELIA". It was like a silver tutu with ruffles that never end.

As we headed to the checkout line I realized Ben's shoe problem wasn't solved so we hurried back to the back of the store and he tried on a pair of gray canvas sneakers with the brightest orange laces I'd ever seen. He loved them, so we bought them too.

Up to this point we were having fun and everyone was behaving wonderfully. Then we entered the maze from hell that Old Navy makes you walk through in order to reach the checkout counters. The maze is lined with cheap trinkets and candy and gum and all sorts of things kids think they simply cannot live without. I was suddenly bombarded with an onslaught of whiny "Pleases, and why nots". I felt like I was shooting 'Thanks-a-lot' darts with my eyes at the workers. I made it through, however, without giving in, not even with Hunter's promises to 'pay me back'.

It felt good buying all my kids clothes to their liking. It was a rare treat, not only for them, but for me as well. I got a little insight into their personalities, and some of their likes and dislikes really surprised me.

I thank God that none of us were seriously hurt in the accident that occurred last fall on Isabelle's birthday....but in a strange way, I also thank God that it happened.

Lovin' life,

Gina.

No comments:

Post a Comment