Thursday, October 20, 2016

Writing Myself Out of a Thinking Block

If you wait for inspiration to write; you’re not a writer, you’re a waiter. ~ Dan Poynter

 You can’t think yourself out of a writing block; you have to write yourself out of a thinking block. ~ John Rogers
I love to write; tales of my adventures, memories that recall tears, love and laughter, stories of truth that others can take comfort in. Memoirs that I will have to look back on if my mind ever fails me. But, have I ever considered myself a writer? I'm not sure.

I love to take pictures; pictures that tell stories in just one moment, pictures that showcase the glory of God's creation even though that can never be truly captured, pictures that show a persons personality in one shot. But I'm not sure I ever considered myself a photographer. 

I'm a mom, a teacher, a daughter, a friend.  I have been a student, a firefighter, a caretaker, a wife. These things, to me are tangible, easy to say, because they are, or have been, obvious to others. But to say I am a photographer or a writer, in my mind, means I would have to be able to dedicate myself to my craft without guilt or distraction, maybe even make a living doing it.

To be a writer and a photographer is my dream (as well as a traveler and an adventurer, but those, too seem to need some tangible evidence) Maybe I am being too persnickety. I think this conundrum is coming at a time when I have been forced to face the writers' block that has been ailing my abilities....but there you go, how can I have writer's block, if I'm not a writer? I must be one then.

No comments:

Post a Comment