Monday, October 22, 2012

Simple-minded Pleasures

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom; justice; honor; duty; mercy; hope, coffee" - Winston Churchill....I just completed the quote...perfected it, really.

I woke up this morning after four and a half hours of sleep, and forced myself to get up and prepare for the day that was coming, ready or not. Tired and sluggish...I stumbled to the kitchen where I naturally march in a zombie state every morning after I've accepted the fact that time won't stop and allow myself a few more hours in my cozy, warm bed. Then, as I was making my morning mojo juice, known to the common folk as coffee, I realized there are certain pleasures that make my day worthwhile regardless of any other pitfall. Simpleminded pleasures, I guess you could say.

These aren't the big ones; kids, God's grace, friends, family etc., etc. These are even simpler pleasures.
  1. After the teapot screams at me to announce my water is ready, I remove the teapot and stand at the coil burner that is burning red hot, I place my cold fingers over it like it's a campfire on a foggy fall morning and relish the warmth it gives.
  2. Monday mornings, if my children's clothes are still in the dryer, after having a weekend to be cleaned and ironed, I turn on the clothes dryer, not only to iron their uniforms, but to be able to give them to them all nice and warm and comfy; hopefully enticing them to get dressed quickly before the warmth fades away.
  3. Listening to the sound of silence pierced with the rumble of buttons hitting the sides of the dryer as the clothes tumble around and around in the hot air.
  4. The peace that comes from knowing that all of us showered the night before...and the morning won't be so hectic (why don't we do this every night?!)
  5. This one has become a simple pleasure, but it used to torment me; waking up before the sun. Now, when I get up and outside my home is still dark as night, I feel like we are enveloped by a soft blanket and the light in our home is the warmth.

Well, there you have it, five simpleminded pleasures that I get to enjoy in the mornings when I wake before the crack of dawn. Happy Monday everyone!

Gina.

No comments:

Post a Comment