Saturday, March 28, 2020

Solitude vs. Loneliness


There are quotes a plenty on solitude, most of which I agree with, but this one rings especially true to me right now. I am making a conscience effort to keep the TV off today, to quit mindless social media scrolling and to focus on what is around me. Small pleasures I frequently lose sight of in the frenzy of the work week and weekend activities are revealing themselves to me in every hour of solitude that I find myself in. 

My kids are at their dad's this weekend and at first I found myself at a loss for what to do. Once the household chores were done I realized I was literally walking mindless circles throughout the house...with our cocker spaniel, Jenny, following my every step. The seemingly constant drizzle is keeping me from yard work which I would love to be doing right now, but being housebound in the rain isn't so bad. 

I find that having a cup of coffee is an actual activity, and one that brings great satisfaction. From grinding the beans, to pouring the hot water over the fragrant grounds, to sipping from my favorite mug as I stare outside our large floor-to-ceiling window that looks over the neighborhood. I understand why this is a favorite pastime of Jenny...staring out the window. Wow, after reading that paragraph, I feel like I must be 87 years old inside!!

After coffee, I made my way back into the kitchen to bake some of my favorite cinnamon scones. I found myself enjoying the whole process of baking rather than it merely being a means to a delicious end. Carefully measuring ingredient after ingredient, melting butter, lightly beating the egg, smelling the cinnamon and vanilla before adding them..it was all as therapeutic as eating comfort foods can be. So by now, I have decided I must be a grandma!

But then...

I turned on the music while the scones baked. My living room became a dance floor and I was the only one on earth. I was brought back to my younger teen years when my parents would play their music loudly and we'd plug in the strobe light (seriously, who owns a strobe light?). We would dance in our small living room like it were a night club playing all the greats from the classic rock era. During one specific New Years Eve at home a group of people showed up at our door asking if this was the party they were looking for. We said no, but you can join us. They didn't.

As I danced amidst Jenny's non-judging audience I vowed to myself, the next essential trip I make will involve finding a strobe light. Then I realized I wasn't 87 years old inside, I was only thirteen!

In all seriousness though, what must be true is in the latter years of life, as well as in the early years, life's small pleasures are enjoyed to the fullest for the moment they grace. I think in the middle years, the productive, busy ones, we tend to lose sight of what makes life truly enjoyable. We are a world forced to slow down and take stock of what is important right now. I pray we never go back to normal, but that our new normal is will be one marked by gratitude for what we have,  love of stillness and especially deep-seated appreciation for those we love.







2 comments:

  1. Thank you, you bring to light the elements of making coffee that add to the experience. It’s not just the caffeine and the bright, nutty, floral, smoky flavor of the nectar of the gods. As well as one of the reasons I enjoy cooking and baking. For others to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Making coffee is a ritual, relaxing and enjoyable...also, serving hot beverages is my way of showing others I care :)

      Delete